Wednesday, 15 August 2012

Black and White Thinking

Even if you do not have ED, you might find yourself falling into the traps of white and black thinking. This type of assumption means that things are one way or another - that you cannot have two things that are different happening at one time. There is no medium; no balance or moderation. For example, today may be the worst or best day of your life - it probably is never just a 'neutral' day. You may really like a food, or you hate it. You are rarely indifferent to a meal.

I suffer from this type of thinking. I admit, I often fall into it's trap. ED takes advantage of this. For example, I am either very thin or very fat. I do not believe that I can ever be 'just in between' or at a healthy weight. I am either pretty or ugly  - I cannot be 'medium'. And of course, in my head, ED will tell me that I am fat and ugly. He does not even inform me of the other end of the spectrum - the positive parts. He likes to remind me that I am always on the terrible end of the line - the fat, ugly, failure, useless, and unworthy ends.

It is difficult to change this type of thinking. It takes a lot of practice. The first thing I had to do was to realize that these thoughts were from ED. Then, I had to counter what he was saying. It took a while to believe what I was saying, but eventually, it started to sink in.

You can never be just 'healthy'. You will gain weight and be fat. That is why you need to restrict - to stay thin. 

Well, ED, I think I may just be able to be healthy. I can work with a team to make sure that I stay at a normal range. This way, I won't need to restrict to lose weight, nor will I need to be worried about dying from malnutrition.

You will never be beautiful. You will remain ugly.

I am beautiful in God's eyes. I am the child of the Lord. And I know well enough that you will always tell me that I am ugly, because you know that this makes me turn to you. You know my weakness; you know how feeling fat and ugly makes me feel. But now I know that this is your trick. And I refuse to let you in again.

There is no medium-ground in anything in life. Black and white thinking will help you stay in control.

When I used black and white thinking, I became your slave. I believed your lies about being fat and ugly. I heeded to your commands because I was scared of the 'other' side. I thought I was in control of my weight, but in fact, I was losing control with each day that I let you boss me around. What started off as a journey to control my weight ended up with me in the ICU, where I had no control whatsoever.

....And the conversations carry on and on. ED is smart; he does not give up easily. If I close one door in his face, he will find another. If all doors are closed, he will try to find a window, a crack - anything to let himself in again. My job now is to put up barriers and locks everywhere. Lock the doors and windows, fill in the cracks, and hide the keys. ED will no longer be allowed to creep into my mind and my heart, where he deceptively implants negative thoughts and feelings. I won't give him anywhere to stay - he will be homeless, with no one to give him the time nor the energy that he so desperately longs for.

And with everyday that he remains homeless, I know that I am one step closer to reclaiming my life from him.


10 comments:

  1. Either because of ED your thinking and feeling either black or white Or ED taking advange of your black and white thinking


    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi my dear again
    Ed will never tell you the positives ,tells you all the negatives fat,ugly,worthless,weak and better be dead and your only way of saving yourself is to be with ED and do only what he wants and you are absoluely right only one specatrum of the extrme.
    Thank you for showing us the reality about ED and exposing all his traps
    Thank you for replying to my comments and for your encouragment.


    A A

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay I like that "I will not let you in ED"

    Shut him up and kick him out
    That is a girl


    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi my friend
    Thnaks for reading my comments and replying.
    I love all your blog especailly the last few ones especially this one and in particularly last paragraph when you determind to let ED be homeless and stay homeless with neither you nor any other victim let him in even one second.Yes you need to fill all cracks and build a strong defence .
    I know you are a nurse but may be you think about being ED therapist as well.You are excellent at this.

    Sincerly

    Mohammaed
    Kingston,On

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is very interesting blog you closing all cracks that ED may try to penetrate or creep in. Need astrong seal

    SC

    ReplyDelete
  6. So inspiring! You are very articulate. And I am so proud of you. Keep it up girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree if victims thinking is either black or white ,I believe ED thinking and agenda only black ,never white .
    You are right when you said ED pushing me only to negatives , yes this his way ,nothing white and never positive .
    Only can make you falsly feel better only temporaraily when you blindly obey his commands and become his slave.
    You are no longer his slave ,
    You are awake ,aware and armed with knowledge ,detrminatrion,will, God'power and God people support


    You are now stronger than ED .I can see him trembling.
    Continue striking him till he is dead.Do not leave him in coma as if in come ,may survive .


    I agree with Mohamed comment ,you have talent to be a therapist.

    K Y
    Socail worker
    Toronto

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am L. Y the ECG guy that used to do this every morning to monitor your heart.
    You are not only so beautiful (I saw your face and I know how beautiful you are ) but from your writing you are so kind,honest and on top talented writer and you can be a therapist.
    I am suffering from chronic depression and may be one day you will be my nurse and therapist

    My best

    L Y

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am so thankful that you are supportive here, as well as everytime you took my ECGs. You are very kind and I always felt comfortable and safe when you did them! God bless you. I'm sorry to hear of your suffering, but know that you are in my thoughts and prayers always. And anyday, anytime, I would be more than happy to help!

      Delete
  9. Reading your blog is a daily event for me
    You are a good writer

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.