Saturday, 20 October 2012

Media and Weight

It's been the only thing on the news lately: Lady Gaga has gained weight and has told the media that she once suffered from anorexia and bulimia.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/09/25/lady-gaga-battled-bulimia-and-anorexia

Lady Gaga, a famous singer, struggling with ED? It is, sadly, not an unfamiliar tale. We have heard, multiple times, that celebrities are more at risk for this. Why? Because of all the pressures on them. They must look thin because they are always being watched, photographed, or talked to. They need to have the 'ideal' body - mainly, that women need to be tall, thin, beautiful, and blemish-free.

Is this possible? Obviously not. But this does not mean that the media will stop telling us that it is. And so it comes as no surprise that many female celebrities are going through ED.

Lady Gaga, in her statement, told the media that she struggled with eating disorders and is now learning to accept her body as it is. She encouraged all girls to do the same - to accept and love their body for its natural shape.

Of course, the only thing the media could do was begin releasing stories like 'LADY GAGA'S WEIGHT GAIN ' or 'GAGA GAINS WEIGHT'. Sad, is it not? Do you notice that none of these titles focus on the sad reality that she actually struggled with ED? All they seem to care about is that she gained weight because she used to have an eating disorder, and now, because she is not engaging into symptoms, she has become larger.

But is she FAT? No. She looks healthy. She does not look emaciated (note: you can still have ED if you are not extremely thin, but I'm just trying to make a point). What is wrong with the way she looks now? It is as if the media is saying that she looked BETTER and THINNER thanks to her ED - and now that she is not listening to ED, she automatically looks 'fat' or has 'gained lots of weight'.

This is terrible. I am shocked by the media and what it tells us. Instead of praising Gaga for not lsitening to ED and instead staying at her natural weight, the media goes crazy because she has gotten larger and no longer fits the 'ideal' look.

And so, we are left with one more example of how disgusting and absoluetly terrible the media is. Personally, I am proud that Gaga has admitted this. First, she has showed the media that she is accepting herself the way God created her. Second, she is saying that many people suffer from ED and are not found out about until something goes wrong. Third, she is breaking the stigma and letting people know that ED is not something to be ashamed of, and that we need to start realizing how sick the media truly is.

It really is time that we stop believing the media and letting it tell us how to look, dress, act, etc. There are so many people out there that have ED, and you may not realize it until they tell you or something happens to them. We need to start getting smarter about what we listen to on TV, the radio, in magazines, etc. The media will only show us what it wants to - we need to be smart viewers and see that the media has unrealistic and unhealthy demands for all of us.

20 comments:

  1. I am a political science student and I can tell you,media is politically and financially motivated and biased.
    So my advise when you follow the media ,be careful of your interpretation of what you read and hear

    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you,
    Can one media look at the truth and be fair to our health and our life

    ReplyDelete
  3. Media is free but We have a duty to protect our self from wrong messages
    Hanna

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can not understand how media can twist the truth to push their own agenda and bias and mislead the innocent youth
    Carlos

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do not believe that Ideal and perfect body is any whre to be found in reality

    ReplyDelete
  6. We see the words ideal and perfect in dictionry but who can tell us the definition of ideal and perfect body.
    I agree with previous comment and I may add .The ideal and perfect is the healthy one for sure not the thin or extrely obese and not what Ed tells us
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am always positive and the postive thing that I see is Lady gaga statemnt to media to love and accept their body image and respect and love themselves for they are.
    Another positive is even though LG has Ed,she managed her life and is successful and Ed does not stop her achievemnts and her recovery and her love to herself
    Let all of us look at the positives
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. Media gives you the news but not interpretation or opinion and it is up to us to make our own interpretation .

    Candace
    Arts student,TO

    ReplyDelete
  9. The psoitive thing is Lady g is recovering ,and sending encouraging and supportive message to all of us especailly ED.

    karen

    ReplyDelete
  10. My dear
    It is unfortunate that majority of us listen and belive media more than doctors.
    I agree with you ,we may need to sensor and filter the media before sending wring message that hurt any of us.
    I can tell you for sure all the bad habits that I see onmy daughter and her peers endorsed by the media especially celebrieties and famous figures.
    Thank you for highlighting the negative role of press and media in our society

    A thankful mother

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Marina
    I can tell you my illness is parially caused by the media and bullying and I hope they will feel our pain and change their tone.
    I as still inpatient and I am here to stay till I feel strong enough to be on my own.
    I am follwing your path and i acn assure you
    ED has not place in my life any more.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am also positive and I like the message that Gaga sending to us to love thier body and be healthy
    S C

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do not like Gaga but I like her message and her admission and I like that she is happy feeling healthy and enjoying her body

    Merriett
    Mississauga

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do not know that Gaga has Ed.
    This proves to us that nothing can stop your success in life as long as you are healthy and put your health and well being first.

    S K

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think I am getting immune to media and this is the only way to keep my self sane from media rash.
    K W

    ReplyDelete
  16. I do not take my info from media ,all lies,biased or have thier goals and politically motivated.
    I like LG and I am happy she gave advise to public to love and care for their own bodies
    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  17. i USE MEDIA ONLY FOR WEATHER BUT AS I AM POSITIVE ALSO I ADMIRE LADY FOR FEELING HAPPY AND PLEASED WITH HER BODY NOW AND MOVING TO RECOVERY AND SENDING THE MESSAGE OF LOVE AND CARE TO OUR BODY AND LIKE AND RESPECT WHO WE ARE .
    THAT IS A POSITIVE MESSAGE AND I LIKE IT
    FOR MEDIA TO MAKE A BIG FUSS OF ONE THING MORE THAN OTHER ,IT IS THEIR BUSINESS TO MAKE MONEY AND MORE SELLING
    ALSO I AGREE THAT WE ALL CAN BE SUCESSFUL NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENED TO US AT CERTAIN PAST TIME IN OUR LIFE AS LONG AS WE RECOVERED AND LEARNED A LESSON
    I THINK GAGA LEARNT A BIG LESSON AND NOW IN HER WAY TO COMPLETE RECOVERY TO MAINTAIN HER CAREER SUCCESS

    WITH MY HUMBLE RESPECT
    MOHAMMED

    ReplyDelete
  18. To me for Gaga to admit the illness and take on her responsibility for her own recovery and also to send message to public to love their body image and love themselves for who they are
    That is a big achievement

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.