Wednesday, 20 March 2013

Thankful

It is funny how we often get so caught up in our daily lives that we forget how blessed we are. Sometimes, we (I'm definitely on the top of this list) forget all fo the postiives in our lives and focus on the negatives.

But taking the time to see the great things about life is one of the most humbling experiences I have had. Among all the crazy work that I have to do, I was blessed to have an amazing weekend with my family. We did not go anywhere or do anything special...but I still felt how blessed and lucky I am.

First, I am lucky to be alive. I am proof that people can recover from ED and live a healthy and happy life afterwards. Next, I am lucky to have a school and an education. I am blessed that God has given me the ability to learn, to see, to hear, to taste, to speak, etc. I am living my life once again, free from ED. This is a milestone that I can never forget.

Then, I have so many people who love and support me. I have an awesome family who takes extra special care of me. I have friends at school who watch out for me, who help me with work, etc. I have teachers who understand me and motivate me to achieve my best potentional. I have a faith community that strengthens me and builds my character. I have an education that will take me to many great places and give me the chance to help others. I have my blog that is being read around the world. I have the NEDIC website that provides me with the chance to reach out to others and to make a difference.

But in times of trouble, I forget about all this. I start to think about only the problems at hand, and I feel so hopeless. I feel that there is nothing good about my life - even though deep down, I KNOW there is a lot to be happy about.

So, the solution? I'm starting to write little notes about what I am thankful for. It could be anything from 'today God made it sunny so the drive to school was clean and safe' to something bigger like 'I got a good mark in a class'. It could even be that today I woke up healthy and alive. Or that I am lucky to have food on my plate, a roof over my head, clothes on my body, and a heart that beats. Anything.

When times are rough, I am going to take a look at this list. I am going to realize that everyday, I was blessed. God was with me everyday. I have a good life. Just because it is not always smooth-sailing, it does not mean that life 'sucks'.

So I'll start with today: today, God blesed me with friends who took notes for me when I was late for lecture. Sounds simple, right? But it is truly a blessing! Yesterday, the sun wasa shining and made me feel so warm and cozy as I sat in my home.

What are YOU thankful for today?

12 comments:

  1. To prove and to be a real witness "that this deadly disease is CURABLE and can be overcome if you have that resiliant and strong personality" that is the miraculous achievement you and your family should be thankful for ,proud off and for the community and whole Canad should consider this as HEROIC act of yourself and for medical and health care organization should consider this as out of the ordinary.

    I am exaggeration??
    No way
    You challeneged the disease ,persevrered and showed all the strngh and resilaince and you took over the upper hand.
    My heartfilled congratulation to you and whole family

    Mary
    Mississauga

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with Mary .
    As you may recall ,I am studying medicine and I know how difficult to treat ED in general especilly AN.
    I give you Marina all the credit for your recovery.
    As far as I know ,heard ,searched and listened to and scoured all relevant blogs,many many ED victims ,had to be admitted to inpatient treatment programs and have all resources from money ,family ,supporters and friends and still their recovery was hard ,sometimes incomplete and relapse happened.
    So far you are progressing well,maintaining your school attendence ,showing lots of talents and skills as nursing skills,therpist and teaching skills and also writing skills.You can not believ how this blog helping others.It is to helpless and hopeless people like a nice cool breeze in a hot humid day!!
    Let me congratulate you again.
    I hope you feel very proud of your achievements.
    Always look at the positives around you.
    I am learning from you even I am 10 years older than you but age is not a factor in learning and maturity.

    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am close follower of your blog.
    I know a lot of women who lived very abusive relationship.
    I understood from your blog that ED control victims and treat them like slave.
    NOW
    For you to say outloud I am FREE from ED
    That is a great victory and worth billions
    My congratulations

    Raciliviere

    ReplyDelete
  4. On behalf of all your reader,let me thank you for this very informative ,well respected blog

    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thank God for many many thing in my life but for today in particular ,I thank God for your blog that is helping me to be hopeful and optimistic and learning that no matter how hard and tough ,life can be ,life still very good and worth living.
    Thanks again Marina .

    Mays

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am thankful for my loving parents.
    I am thankful to Marina's blog that is helpful and supportive to many reader
    I consider your blog as a friend of mine

    Thank Marina again.

    Sebastien

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am thankful for my family.
    I am thankful for having a dear friend that I do not know as you

    Shahinaz

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thankful for many blessings in my life and belive me if I tell you ,I am very thankful for your recovery and setting an example of how to conquer the monster and overcome any hurdles and you kept swimming and raising awareness of all of us .
    I am thankful for your hard work and advocating for those who suffer to get better and not to be discriminated against .
    I thankful for loving my self for who I am without feeling shame from my weakness and my incompetence

    Nanraj

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am writing to thank you for this wonderful blog.I read it regularly and is has positively affected my way of looking at life.
    It turns my long time negativity to new era where I started to look and find the positive and making a difference in my own life.
    Thank you for making a difference in others life as me

    Horvath

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am like you,thankful for many blessings in my life.
    I will not forget to be thankful to you and consider you as a guide to many people

    Yoganand

    ReplyDelete
  11. When I wake up every day and ready to take my breakfast ,I smile and thank the lord .
    You taught us how to be positive and have hope and how to be able to defeat the impossible and in this blog you teach us how to be thankful

    Thank you Marina

    Oswaldo

    ReplyDelete
  12. What is better than being thankful and seeing things moving towards the right direction.When We are able to see the positives that is blessing of God and this means We are well.
    I see the positives in your blog Marina .

    Cheers
    Mehta

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.