Wednesday, 2 January 2013

New Year!

The time is coming near - when everyone makes their resolutions for the new year. By far, the most common one I've heard of is weight loss. People promise themselves to eat less, exercise more, etc. This is especially common because its after the holiday season - the time when people 'over-eat'.
 
There's so many issues with this. First, lets start with the resolution idea: why should you decide to be healthy for only one part if the year? Maintaining a healthy lifestyle is a lifelong decision, not one you make temporarily. Second, the idea that you need to lose weight after Christmas is silly - even if you do eat a little more during the celebrations and parties, you'll return to your normal eating habits afterwards, so your body will adjust itself. There's no need to try to change your body when it already knows what to do!
 
I think the problem is that we all hear people saying that this is their resolution, so we somehow become convinced that we need to do the same. We hear commercials advertising for free gym memberships, discounted weight-loss programs - and so we think that we need to get on board with everyone else.
 
But reality is, living a healthy lifestyle needs to be top priority, regardless of what time if the year it is. We need to see that we deserve to eat healthy and exercise all the time - it's a LIFESTYLE. We need to stop thinking that the after the Hidatsa is a time when we need to lose weight. This only makes the holidays seem like a temporary fun time, before the 'real work' of losing weight begins. But this isn't true! We need to learn to love our bodies at all times, to nurture them, and to keep them healthy.
 
How about making a resolution to have a break every once in a while, to go out and
 have a massage, watch a movie, spend time with friends and family, etc? Or make a resolution to start each day with positivity, to make others smile, or to laugh. These are the true joys in life. These are the things that really matter.
 
So as the time for making resolutions nears, I'm choosing to dedicate time in every day to smile because I'm blessed. I will find one thing I love about my life and be thankful for that. That's my resolution. What's yours?

24 comments:

  1. Mine is living life to the fullest

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Marina
    That is too my real resolution is to look for what makes me and my daughter happy.
    My resolution is every day I will look to have some fun time for both of us.
    To treat ourselves weekly
    To make sure feeling well,rested and any stress is addressed.
    I am making a resolution is to thing positivesly all the time and be a good listener to every body especailly my daughter
    Also I made a resolution to follow your blog and read NEDIC too

    JP
    The thankful mother

    ReplyDelete
  3. My resoltion is making myself feel happy by any means

    Savana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mine is live healthy,feel happy,have fun ,manage stress and care for yourself

    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want feel happy
    I want think only only positive

    Hend

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Marina
    My resolution this year and all my years to come is for my health.I want to feel normal ,love myself ,love my body,care for my body,look for happiness and making sure ED thoughts have no place in my life from now on.
    Even though easy said than done but with your encouragemnet and my detrmination and professional advise,I am sure I will head there.
    I wish same thing for you and all your readers.
    I am still home with my family and you are right ,this holiday season is the best I have since I was 12.
    Keep up and I thank you every time ,your name is mentioned .

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marina and Anne
      I love your commitment ,determination and your hope for a better wonderful and less stressful year and years to come.
      I have the same resoluitions like you and if you let me add,I have made the commitment for the last 6 years to be a normal person and enjoy life and no way in my life for relapse.
      Keep up the good job girls

      Recovered ED victim

      Delete
  7. What is Hidatsa?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love what you writing and so my resolution is same like yours.
    Cheers

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. What is people doing does not make sense .You have good moment ,you eat more ,that is fine (unless you have uncontrolled diabetes ) as your body will readjust and return to normal.
    It is unhealthy if you plan losing weight after the holidays.
    My resoltion is enjoy everything in moderation.

    Jen
    Welland

    ReplyDelete
  10. My resolution is not different than yours ,good healthy and happy life

    Sebastien

    ReplyDelete
  11. My resoltion is maintain my health and my happiness and study little more so I will be graduating this year!!!

    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry ,I never made any resolution,I just live easy simple life ,I do not care about things ,only I want feel happy


    Hamza

    ReplyDelete
  13. XMAS time is stressful for people and family and so many try to recover by waiting to set priority in something.
    Some if not all broke their promises so quickly .
    I think people like Marina,Anne and Recovered ED victim for 6 years are unique ,very intelligent and strong personality and I am sure once you made a commitment ,you will keep

    Keep up guys
    Your motivation is contagious
    I love your blog


    Patrick

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy new year all of you guys

    Hesham

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am glad that you had fun this holiday season.
    Keep up your commitment and detrmination as your years to come resolution of wellness ,happiness and prosperity
    This is mine to
    I like your blog as it is useful and organized.

    Zephara

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love holidays and enjoy everything in it.
    Then come my new year resolution of making sure prepare myself for the holiday agin and make sure all of us have fun time
    Life is short and my goal is focus of having fun,feel happy and take things easy.
    This is me and I love myself

    Clorado

    ReplyDelete
  17. My resoltion is to commit to my health,self esteem and feeling good

    ReplyDelete
  18. I do not make any resolution but I make a wish that this year and the years to come will bring joy and peace and keep us in good health.

    Zak

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am same as Zak ,I have a wish to all of us have a happy peaceful prosperous year and We enjoying good health ,supportive families and friends

    Mays

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Marina
    I am Mohammed,psychology student(do you remeber)
    I was off for last few weeks and went back home and so I was not able to be up to date on your blog.
    I am very please that you are doing the best you can with what you have and God is blessing you with sucess in all aspects
    You have been successful in your school,blog ,motivating and encouraging all who suffer.You have maintained good relationship with your families (many others in our age can not get along with their families)
    On top you are maintaining your recovery
    I noted your blog getting more popular also.

    I wish you all the best in 2013
    Please give your self what you deserve in 2013
    Please treat yourself fairly as if you are treating the dearest person to your heart.

    I wish you all the best.


    Mohammmed
    Psychology student

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. are you in a clinical psych program? a BA program ? an MA program ? or something else ? just wondering

      Delete
    2. Just PA program but the sky is the limit

      Mohammed

      Delete
  21. You are so wonderful
    I wish you all the best
    My resoltion is keep healthy and well

    Jasmeet

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.