Friday, 7 February 2014

National Eating Disorder Awareness Week

February 2 - February 8 of this year, 2014, is/was National Eating Disorder Awareness Week in Canada (other countries may have different days). Clearly, this is a big deal. But why? What's so important about eating disorders? Why have a whole week for awareness?

As a recovered patient with anorexia nervosa, this week is super important to me. It is the week when everyone should aim to learn at least one important thing about eating disorders. Of course, there is so much to know. Did you know that ED is the number one killer of all mental illnesses? Did you know that someone can have an ED even if they don't look thin? Did you know that EDs can cause damage to the body (on the inside) that tests and blood work may not even be able to detect? Did you know that most patients with ED do not get help until they are close to death? Did you know that recovery from ED is nowhere close to being a simple and quick fix? Did you know that ED is NOT just about the food, but about other factors, self-esteem, body image, and more?

I challenge and urge you to take a moment at least once this week to learn something new about ED. Since I have recovered, I have devoted much of my time to advocating for EDs and mental illnesses. This week, I want you to know that EDs are real, mental, and terrible illnesses. I want you to know that although having a week for ED awareness is great, we all need to be aware of ED all the time. If you or someone you know might be ill with ED, please DO NOT delay getting help, Sure, you might not feel ill now. But you will be sick one day, and ED will become stronger and stronger. I was ill with ED for seven years. Even as a smart student - and one who is studying to be a nurse - I still got sick with ED.. Coming from a culture where food is loved, I still developed an eating disorder. ED does not discriminate against anyone - young or old, short or tall, male or female, etc.

Finally, my message to everyone - with ED or not - is to learn to love yourself. Love your body for what it helps you do. Love your abilities and talents. Love your smile and laugh, and use them whenever possible. Learn to accept your weaknesses and to use them to improve your skills or knowledge. Let go of grudges and strive to be the best you can be. Do not compare yourself or your skills to anyone else. Be your own competition. Do not let anyone take you down or make you feel inferior. \Make goals and strive to achieve them. Do not let anyone tell you that you cannot achieve anything. Many healthcare providers told me that I would never recover - and here I am, fully recovered and healthy. I was bullied and hated by others - but here I am, writing my blog and for other organizations, and living a happy life.  It is POSSIBLE. Recovering from ED - or from any mental illness (depression, anxiety, etc.) is possible - but do not give up. Wake up each morning and know that today will have some good in it. Refuse to let the world tell you that you aren't good enough. Because you are. Surround yourself with people who love you and who care for you simply because you are YOU - a special, beautiful, handsome, smart, and unique individual.

So, this week was dedicated to raising awareness about eating disorders! They are real mental illnesses and deserve treatment, attention, care, and support! Of course, we should strive to make this known all year long...but remember, regardless of what day of the year is, mental health illnesses are real, and they are not something to be ashamed of!

48 comments:

  1. WOW Marina
    To be honest with you I am printing this post and I will embroidering it and keep it on my desk to help me maintain recovery and happiness.
    I urge every one who had ED do same thing .If you falter and read these encouraging words ,you will raise up again and stand for your self.
    Thanks Marina
    You are amazing.

    Anne
    I am aslo completely recovred

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love the motto and I would like to have it on me
    Thanks Marina for being pioneer and a head of all of us.
    The info you posted here are a great summary of the main points of ED and how to ward off this monster and maintain recovery


    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Marina
    Let consider this post one of your best because
    You are completely recovred
    You are reaching out to raise awareness and encourage those who still sick to do as you did.
    You are motivating those who recovered to maintain.
    You highlighting what are the main salient features of the terrible disease.
    You raising ED flag and alerting all of us toward the monster.
    You are spreading hope and setting an example how to stand for yourself

    Way up Marina

    Kelly W
    Toronto

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let raise our MOTTO to inform those who are oblivious about ED.
    All families need to learn .
    I recommend this post for every single parent to read and make notes to help kids not to fall in ED traps.

    Sam Ibrahim

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad that this ED awareness week come while we are completely recovered, happy and moving on to plan having a happy healthy life.
    Let me give you lots of credit for my recovery.
    I did have all symptoms of ED you mentioned and I was not aware that I was sick exactly as you said and my doctor did many tests to tell me all normal ,just go and eat .My doctor was so dumb and he thought by telling go eat ,I will do it
    Eventually you helped me Marina
    Thank you and I will carry ED awareness flag in my bag

    Nanraj

    ReplyDelete
  6. I acknowledge this blog has been dedicated to raise the awareness and promote recovery from any mental illness.

    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are all behind you and support your efforts .
    Excellent post Marina

    Carlos

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with you ,many never known what anorexia N is and they just know person choose not to eat.
    Marina you are doing amazing job in you being role model for complete recovery ,life success and reaching to others and raising awareness.

    Kapoor

    ReplyDelete
  9. i AM ALSO STANDING BEHIND YOU

    MORANDAN

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am also behind you Ms. Hope
    Keel up

    Gerry

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have a talent in writing and you do have a charisma to motivate others and standing for your cause

    Tatiana

    ReplyDelete
  12. Informative post by a wonderful person
    I stand behind you to raise awareness about any mental illness












































































































































































    Informative post by a wonderful person.
    I stand with you to raise awareness about all mental illness esp. ED

    Sebastian


    ReplyDelete
  13. I s this a Motto to raise awareness for ED or this is the one for breast Cancer.I am not sure .

    Celest

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Breast cancer is the pink ribbon! ED is purple! :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much. Good to know .

      Celest

      Delete
  14. If All ED survivors believe in this wisdom written by Ralph Emerson,ED would be history (obsolete)
    I am ED survivor with no relapse for 7 years and first time I know ED motto thanks to Marina

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post and excellent pictures

    Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  16. You made a difference in my daughter's life and my life and this post is the one that I will continue to read on a weekly basis
    I like the Emerson's quote

    JP
    A thankful mother

    ReplyDelete
  17. I add my voice and support to you to raise awareness about ED and to motivate those who still reluctant to take an action

    Anastashia

    ReplyDelete
  18. I admire you for standing up for others .
    You now fully recovered and you could have moved on and forgotten all about what is related to ED but your altruism making you stand for those who still suffering.
    Kudos to you.

    Solomon

    ReplyDelete
  19. Where can I buy this motto
    I want also support all those who ever suffered from ED and raise the awareness .
    Thank you for standing up for this noble cause

    ReplyDelete
  20. Marina
    This is one of your best posts
    Congratulations

    Blanchette

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well written informative post that may be one of my guidance when I deal with ED clients in the future.

    With my humble respect

    Mohammad

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the pictures,quotations and motto

    Larivierre

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your blog is educational one for learners and healers for those who happen to be not well


    Hend

    ReplyDelete
  24. No matter what the world trying to push my buttons,I will challenge all the world and maitain my personaility and my self confidence.

    Excellent post Marina

    Hamza

    ReplyDelete
  25. WOW marina
    This is a very wonderful post

    Zak

    ReplyDelete
  26. I learnt a lot from this post

    Mehta

    ReplyDelete
  27. We admire you for showing us the ED motto and We stand with you in solidarity.

    Clorado

    ReplyDelete
  28. You excel in this post.
    Thank you for your stand

    Martina

    ReplyDelete
  29. Well written.
    Great job
    I take my hat off for you

    Lenus

    ReplyDelete
  30. Kudos to Marina's talent and perseverance.

    Raja

    ReplyDelete
  31. Every single post is teaching me something and also endorse my new happy life .
    Thanks my friend on the web.

    Mays

    ReplyDelete
  32. You raise the awareness and you show us new stuff every post
    Kudos to Marina

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  33. Greetings to you and congratulations for excellent post among wonderful blog

    Hernandez

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thanks for this great support and plenty of information

    Yara

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wonderful post to support ED survivors and de-estigmatize illness.


    Ivanka

    ReplyDelete
  36. Perfect informative supportive post

    Elora

    ReplyDelete
  37. A wonderful motto ,I really like it and I will look for it and have it in my car windshield .Thanks Marina

    Cindrella

    ReplyDelete
  38. I like the quotation.
    You are a really talented writer

    Irina

    ReplyDelete
  39. Amazing post

    Magaly

    ReplyDelete
  40. Wonderful easy to remember information. I bet many of public and also medical staff not aware of symptoms of ED.Excellent post Marina

    Alfonso

    ReplyDelete
  41. I also like this post

    Giovani

    ReplyDelete
  42. You made a great point to explain Ed and raise awareness. God bless you Marina

    Sandra D

    ReplyDelete
  43. Fantastic reflection of what ED all about in simple language .
    Raising awareness is unique of this blog than others .Marina you are talented .

    Hamza

    ReplyDelete
  44. I ordered 10 ED Motto on line .

    Raso

    ReplyDelete
  45. Wonderful well written .
    To be yourself in this world is a huge accomplishment .

    Jasmeet

    ReplyDelete
  46. Since I started reading your blog ,I visit this blog at least weekly .
    This is the most respected blog .This post is unique

    Saroosh

    ReplyDelete