Saturday, 10 August 2013

Social media

Social media is all around us. There's email, twitter, Facebook, and more. There are chat rooms and forums. In a sense, this is beneficial because it allows us to communicate with others  and learn about them. It also helps us learn new things, stay connected to people, and share news and events with them. Therefore, social media can be very useful.

But, like many other things in life, social media also has it's drawbacks. I'm not going to write a post about what's wrong with social media. Instead, I'm going to discuss why you need to be aware of what you post on social media or how you use it. This may seem obvious, but sometimes we get so caught up with posting that we forget the downfalls of social media.

Lets start with posts. You can often post your status on Facebook or twitter, which allows others to see how you feel or events in your life. This is nice because you can share moments and thoughts with others. But sometimes we post without thinking. We might post something that doesn't seem offensive, but it might be to some. Or we may 'like' a status or post that can be harmful to others. For example, you may like a page that has revealing images on it. This happens to show up on my news feed. Well, I don't want to see that! So in a way, your social media has harmed me or has made me uncomfortable. Or consider what happens when you share a post that has swear words in it or vulgar language. Why should others reading your posts have to contend with that? You may be causing others to fall into temptation or sin. Looking at it another way, you may be causing yourself to sin and not realize it.

What about what social media reveals about you? Social media is just that - media that provides us with ways to be social or connect with others. The key word here is 'media', coming from 'medium' which is another way of saying that it transfers something (information about us) from one place (us) to another place (people's computers, the Internet, etc). This is great at times, but have you ever thought about LIMITING social media is? At the most, we type our thoughts/feelings/statuses and post them for others to see. We share our pictures or 'like' other photos. But this is problematic because it often paves the way we see people - our impressions of them. For example, what would happen if I posted quotes on my facebook wall that swore and insulted others? People would think that I am mean and rude. What about someone who posts love quotes and quotes about finding the 'right person'? People would assume that this person is 'desperate' or lonely. It is sad, but the fact of the matter is that we make assumptions based on what we see and read on social media.

What do we learn from this? Know that although social media is great, it is limited. This has implications, of course, as to how you should use it. Before you post something about yourself (no matter how private you have made your settings), know that it is not out of your hands and into the public. Anyone can see it. Do others really need to know that you feel XXX or just did XX? If this is not necessary, do not post it. Or what about quotes and pictures? Remember that nearly anyone can see this stuff. What does the image or quote say about you and your values or thoughts? Is this the kind of impression you want to give off? Do others REALLY need to know that you are looking for love, that you are a snobby person, or that you hate XXX? If not, do not post it. Keep these tips in mind. Sometimes we become so obsessed and attached to our social media that we often forget that what we are posting is now available to many people out there. And these people may not know you well, so they will make assumptions about you based on what you post. Do not let social media turn you into a person that you are not. Be warned that it can. So, think before you post. Be media-smart.

12 comments:

  1. I am an old man and I do not like post any thing on those stuff and I encourage all my family to be careful with media as to protect your identity .Only site I respect and trust is yours.

    Sam Ibrahim
    Burnhamthorpe ,Mississauga

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not every one is considerate to others.None of your fingers look the same like other 4 .
    People are different ,some like you Marina kind ,compasionate and consider the feelings of others and respect other's value and believe.
    Others are arogant and vulgar and basically do not care about others.
    What a world .
    Jesus tells us treat others as you like others treat you.

    May God bless you and protect you from social media vibe

    Sunday Priest

    ReplyDelete
  3. There may be some benifts but there are some thorns of course

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  4. What is posted on social media can be misinterpreted and can be provocative to many.
    Look at writers ,always recive many phone calls,messages and emails from readers ,some thankful,rewarding and gratful and some critsizing and swearing.

    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  5. People can guess who you are from your thoughts (writings)
    So you can turnsih your self image but writing good stuff

    Carlos

    ReplyDelete
  6. I chose not have any social media account since I saw my daughter bullied by those who were her friends before.
    By the way she is doing better and normal in her eating and behaviours and relationship to me and her family.
    Thank you for helping me out before too late.

    JP
    A Thankful mother

    ReplyDelete
  7. There always something good and something not good about every thing in life and social media not an exception.
    I noted one can socialize ,chat ,exchange information ,know things ,see how peers are doing,can even make friends.

    But the downside is you may know things that harmful to you as bad habits,negative views ,bad friends ,inappropriate pictures,disgusting scenes and nasty language.
    Now I limit my circle to few people I know well.
    Also as you said Marina I am careful with what I post on my facbook ,not only careful to protect my self but also as you said not to harm any others.

    Good post Marina

    Regards

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  8. As you may remember Marina,I am Anglican and I have values that suit with belief and culture.
    I was hoping the social media can help us better communication,collaboration,having a social network of group of friends on the web to share info and benift from each other experience and make more friends.
    However the down side of social media is you may need to suck up with seeing dirty stuff,hearing bad words and you may fall into the trick of being a friend to a Wolf wearing the sheep skin .
    I agree we need to use our discretion.

    For that reason ,and many others reasons,I love your blog and no others.

    Cheers
    Mary

    Mississauga

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would like having more friends but I noticed that yes good friends help ,support and share experience and gives you company when you feel lonely ,however the down side is you also have obligations towards friends and you may be asked by a friend for help that you can not give or time that you have hard time to manage it right or may ask you out when you are not ready etc.
    So I decided to be a friend and smileing to every body but to keep only one or two close friends.
    My social network is very limited this way ,
    Am I right???

    Magaly

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a guy,single ,has nothing to lose and so i do every thing i want as i am not fearful of any thing and i am not worried any body can turnish my picture or publicity.
    i am not worried about any thing.
    marina i respectful to you as you are kind and respftul girl but if you go on my twitter,i am different

    cheers

    clorado

    ReplyDelete
  11. My self not lucky, I have never have even one friend. I trust my bible and I read books and my book is my real friend

    Lillian

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am a friend to every body but from far away .
    My dear friends are my family .

    Anastasia

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.