Sunday, 16 November 2014

Watch me on TV: Using My Journey to Help Others!

Last month, I was called by Rawal TV's (an international TV channel) manager, who heard my story on CBC and saw my book. He told me that he was very interested in having me appear on one of the shows on Rawal TV called 'Our Canada, Our Home'. I was more than delighted to help out!

This interview segment is about my struggle with ED, and why I decided to write my book (a special note of thanks to Namal, the lovely host of this show!). Many people hear about ED, but they don't quite know WHAT it is, why it is so deadly, and how to help someone with an eating disorder. There are also many questions around how to prevent EDs, how to provide support for those struggling, and how to speak with one's family and friends about EDs.

When I was ill in the ICU, I thought I was going to die because of the ED. I was scared, tired, and hopeless. Even through recovery, I was frustrated. I never thought that I would ever see the day when I would be healthy and happy again. This is why I decided to share my story, to start this blog, and to write my book. I want to make it clear to the world that EDs (and mental health) is not something to be ashamed of. The more we know and educate ourselves, the wiser we will become. This will help us to not only help ourselves, but to help others....to break the stigma, to provide care and support, and to get treatment for whatever we need help with.
Please take the time to watch my appearance on this TV show, which you can find on Youtube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSQ3k8wODG4 (My part starts at 20:20). If you have Rawal TV as one of your channels, you may watch it there as well. I hope you enjoy this interview, and that it helps you or someone you know learn something about ED or mental health, food, recovery, etc. I also hope that it teaches you about how to approach food in everyday situations. Finally, I hope my message is clear: EDs are life-threatening illnesses. But with proper prevention, identification, and treatment, recovery is 100% possible. This is the same with any illness. Never lose hope. And remember: health and happiness always go together!

52 comments:

  1. WOW
    From one show to another


    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. TV must be privileged to have you.


    Mary
    Mississauga

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure you are making a difference.

    Anastashia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Big five to you

    Sadhana

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is amazing

    Kenny

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pleased with this


    Mamdani

    ReplyDelete
  7. True ,you would not discovered your charisma and talent have not you had to go through tough illness.

    Danika

    ReplyDelete
  8. I watched and that was a clear message that I hope will be heard internationally and globally so that can raise awareness ad prevent spreading of this disease.

    Sam Ibrahim

    Burnhamthorpe ,Mississauga

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beauty girl you are


    Socrat

    ReplyDelete
  10. In less than half an hour you send clear and strong message that can help many viewer do something.
    Well done

    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  11. When life pulls you back, God is planning to push you way a head.
    God bless
    Wonderful interview Marina

    Shady

    ReplyDelete
  12. You were very pretty and confident and made the point clear


    Solomon

    ReplyDelete
  13. This will raise awareness among different cultures ..You were very articualte .

    Kapoor

    ReplyDelete
  14. How confident you were !!!!

    Harpreet

    ReplyDelete
  15. The interview was very productive

    Terryberry

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is very good and very helpful


    Greenall

    ReplyDelete
  17. I liked your knowledge and self confidenec


    Bennett

    ReplyDelete
  18. You were amazing

    Sebastian

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great message of hope from Ms Hope Marina


    Gerry

    ReplyDelete
  20. Strong performance and clear advise


    Adeel

    ReplyDelete
  21. what a wonderful summary in less than half an hour


    Elias

    ReplyDelete
  22. You deserve a high five for this


    Edel

    ReplyDelete
  23. I watched it 5 times

    Halala

    ReplyDelete
  24. I told you "You are a GEM"

    Lillian

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wonderful message to all of us .

    Merza

    ReplyDelete
  26. I take my hat off for this one

    Ospina

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thant was fantastic

    Norman

    ReplyDelete
  28. You were very pretty, and informative.

    Harold

    ReplyDelete
  29. You were sooo pretty.

    Razan

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your clothes and the mug were match!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I also o love the matching


    Ilham

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your clothes were well selected

    Jenn
    Welland

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks for this message .
    Well done.


    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  34. Very pretty Marina


    Raposo

    ReplyDelete
  35. You have a wonderful profile

    Rosalba

    ReplyDelete
  36. You looked very friendly and forthcoming and confident


    Alejandra

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thank you for de-stigmatizing mental illness


    Holland

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thank you Marina for taking the time to appear on diffent TV shows and write this blog to share experience and raise the awareness.
    I am sure you are helping so many others .I got the hint and motivation from this blog while I was in complete denial.



    Nanraj

    ReplyDelete
  39. I loved your calmness and your hair.

    Rodica

    ReplyDelete
  40. you are taking the shame and stigma away from all mental illness.
    Thank you

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  41. I admire you for normaizing mental illness and equalizing them with any other illness and asking people seek help


    David Dodge

    ReplyDelete
  42. Lovely and pretty

    Hamza

    ReplyDelete
  43. You spoke like a pro

    Regaldo

    ReplyDelete
  44. Your smile was professional as well as your posture and tone of voice

    Khaldoun

    ReplyDelete
  45. Fantastic job

    Clorado

    ReplyDelete
  46. What a helpful interview for

    Suhana

    ReplyDelete
  47. I really liked this interview


    Hamdan

    ReplyDelete
  48. I am very proud of you.
    You were amazing

    Sheila Ketson

    ReplyDelete
  49. You did amazing job for sure .You sent clear concise message and you told us what is ED and how to get help.

    Gangji

    ReplyDelete
  50. Thank you everyone! You are all so kind - I am so blessed to be able to use my journey to help others. and to be supported by all of you!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.