Sunday, 2 November 2014

Emotions and ED behaviours

We all know that emotions are a natural part of everyday life. We are human, and we all have feelings! Sad, happy, scared, anxious, frustrated. excited, angry, etc...all of these are emotions that we may feel at one point or another.

How do you express your emotions? Some people are verbal, telling others how they feel. Others keep their feelings to themselves, but you can 'see' their feelings based on how they are acting or appear. Now, we've all had days when we feel frustrated, angry, or sad. And sometimes, we want to tell others how we feel and 'let our feelings out'. However, sometimes, we feel so down or drained that we simply don't have the energy or motivation to speak to others about how our emotions. And that is okay. But what happens when we don't have ways in which we can cope with our emotions or experiences?

Emotion regulation is a phrase used to denote how we handle our emotions. As mentioned, negative feelings can be dealt with in many ways. Some people prefer to talk about their feelings, others use relaxation tips or meditation, while others play a game, write in a journal, or read a book. In patients with ED, negative emotions can be quite difficult to manage. Feelings of anger, sadness, stress, and frustration can make the patient feel isolated, scared, and anxious. This can lead to ED behaviours such as purging, binging, or restriction (http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/erv.2183/abstract?deniedAccessCustomisedMessage=&userIsAuthenticated=false).

As you can imagine, this can become a dangerous and repetitive cycle. If a patient with ED feel sad or angry, he or she may restrict the next meal. Then, the patient feels bad about not eating, tired and weak, and scared. What happens at the next meal? The patient doesn't eat because of these negative feelings as well. Now, the patient is caught in this cycle: negative feeling, don't eat. Feel even worse? Don't eat. Feel tired, weak, and fat? Don't eat.

What is the solution? Firstly, helping the patient recognize and express emotions is critical. Talking about emotions is a great way to release them and draw upon the support and care of others. Even those without ED can attest to the power of speaking with a caring individual. Other outlets such as writing, singing, playing, reading, etc. are also helpful. Along with stopping ED behaviours, adequate nutrition, and weight maintenance, it will become easier for patients with ED to identify, express, and handle negative emotions. With recovery, someone who struggled with ED will notice that even when they feel down or angry, restriction or ED behaviours are simply not an option. By expressing emotions or dealing with them in a positive way. the individual will be able to maintain an optimal state of health. Try it out yourself, even if you don't have ED. Try expressing a negative emotion such as anger, fear, anxiety, or sadness. Talk to someone who cares, write it down on a piece of paper, or practice deep-breathing. How do you feel after? Although the problem may still be there, you will likely feel better - and perhaps even strong enough to consider how you will  deal with the situation. When we are able to regulate our emotions, we are able to think clearly and be healthy.

45 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful post

    Svetlana

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is important for any body to read as we all have emotions and We all need to know to regulate them


    Penny
    Med student

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree Marina our emotions need to be addressed.
    The benefits of complete recovery is knowing and identifying our emotions and knowing how to respond to them

    Mary
    Mississauga

    ReplyDelete
  4. I urge all of us to purge feelings and emotions out but select the right person who able to actively listen and support and be positive and shy away from those who are negative and pessimistic

    Callahan

    ReplyDelete
  5. For me I do all the coping mechanisms you mention to regulate my feeling .
    Restriction will not be an option for me any more and will never be at any moment in my life.
    Recovery (thanks to you) endorses my healthy eating,
    behaviours and attitude.

    Nanaraj

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marina ,you recall I told this blog before that when I was alcoholic, I lost my wife and my job because I could not control or regulate my feelings ,anger and my behaviours.
    Now I am practicing yoga, meditation and deep breathing .

    Carlos

    ReplyDelete
  7. One thing I l learnt from this blog is
    to live healthy and longer is throught good nutrition,sound sleep and regular mild exercises.
    My counsellor and Dr Oz and Dr Phil endorse same.


    Rodica

    ReplyDelete
  8. You gave us a lot of option on how to deal with our emotions in a healthy way

    Thanks

    Sheila Ketson

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do beleive in the notion you quoted

    HEALTHY BODY AND SOUND MIND=SUCCESS AND HAPPINESS


    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful Marina
    That exactly what I counsel my cliet on how to address their feelings and emotions


    Kelly W
    Toronto

    ReplyDelete
  11. All your blog helpful but this one post is amazing as tuches every sigle person whether hadED or not.

    Harvey

    ReplyDelete
  12. Since my recovery and now I am back to my school and doing well(thanks to this blog) I made strong commitment that no matter what is going on no way I will do any of the ED behaviours .I will fight off any hint or thoughts of ED.


    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful post

    Parson

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am trying regulate my emotion by writing and reflecting on them


    Frost

    ReplyDelete
  15. My feeling will calm down by talking to a loved one

    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  16. I regulate my emotions by relaxation and breathing.

    Rodrigues

    ReplyDelete
  17. I maintain my healthy body through good nutrition, positive thinking and I regulate my emotion by writing notes and listen to music.

    Anastashia

    ReplyDelete
  18. I do relaxation technique to regulate my emotions

    Rosalba

    ReplyDelete
  19. I regulate my emotion by healthy mild regular exercises and good nutrition and sound sleep

    Mira

    ReplyDelete
  20. wonderful helpful post

    Ogilvie

    ReplyDelete
  21. No matter what our day stress, We can choose any coping skills to regulate emotion but ED thoughts no no no

    Silva

    ReplyDelete
  22. Those tips are wonderful and I will try them all to regulate my emotions

    Riad

    ReplyDelete
  23. So dealing with our emotions in a healthy ,is protections from ED sneaking on us.

    Ismet

    ReplyDelete
  24. My emotions are real and I do respect them and talk about them with my therapist so that will not pile up to the point of explosion.
    Any coping skills welcome expect self hard as restriction, or alcohol ,smoke or lose sleep over them etc.

    Hayan

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is a helpful post

    Mauricio

    ReplyDelete
  26. Restriction is no fly zone

    Vuk

    ReplyDelete
  27. Talented author.


    Didrova

    ReplyDelete
  28. Reading this blog relieves my anger and regulate my emotions

    Olivera

    ReplyDelete
  29. I regulate my emotions by dancing.


    Halala

    ReplyDelete
  30. We all different and we all have one or more ways to regulate our emotions as you kindly mentioned

    Siobhan

    ReplyDelete
  31. Yes emotions can trigger Ed behaviours and so awareness and emotion regulation is a safe guard against the monster

    Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love the pictures

    Miranda

    ReplyDelete
  33. I am always overreacting for very little nuance or annoyance ,what can I do to react appropriately


    Salomé

    ReplyDelete
  34. I regulate my emotions by prayers and trusting God since I accepted Jesus Christ.


    Sam Ibrahim

    Burnhamthorpe,Mississauga

    ReplyDelete
  35. Good job on this post

    Nerada

    ReplyDelete
  36. I want stop jumping to conclusion .I do not know how I can think before burping the answer.


    Clorado

    ReplyDelete
  37. My emotions and feeling are top priority and I am learning tools as you mentioned Marina to regulate them so that wont hunt me later

    Rex

    ReplyDelete
  38. When I vent all of in out I feel good

    Savana

    ReplyDelete
  39. I get my feelings out by meditation

    Kapoor

    ReplyDelete
  40. I need to take things easy and not make a big deal of little things

    Selena

    ReplyDelete
  41. I admit I always overreact and I better regulate my reaction

    Mehta

    ReplyDelete
  42. I am Iraqi and I overreact all the time even after my recovery but working on it.

    Mays

    ReplyDelete
  43. I catastrophize every little thing and I am using tips from your blog to regulate my emotions.

    Gerry

    ReplyDelete
  44. My emotions are just right

    Jenn
    Welland

    ReplyDelete
  45. No matter what are my emotion ,I would look after my health by calming down and good nutrition

    Song

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.