Monday, 5 May 2014

Children's Mental Health Week!

This week is Children's Mental Health week! These seven days, the focus is on children and how we can promote their mental health. It is about understanding that mental health is extremely important for all of us - even for children. It is about knowing that mental health issues are not things we should label as being 'weird', 'bad', 'abnormal', or 'wrong'. Mental health is just as important as any other type of health!

I have a secret for you. But it's not much of a secret, anymore, I suppose. I used to suffer from a mental health issue. In my sick days, I was quite sick because of the eating disorder. At a point in the hospital, I also struggled with depression. And it hurt - on the inside, but also physically. I was tired all the time. I felt scared, alone, and frustrated. I felt empty, void of all happiness. Now imagine if this happens in a child. Did you know that ONE IN FOUR children suffer from a mental health issue? I didn't! And this percentage is likely to increase. But there is hope!

We need to raise awareness. The word needs to be loud and clear: mental health is crucial for our well-being. It is not something we need to be ashamed of or to hide. If there is a problem or something that 'doesn't feel right', you need to get help. As adults in our society, we have a responsibility to help children get help! We need to be aware of mental health issues that may arise in children and be prepared to step in and fight for their right to a better life. We need to eliminate all the sigma around mental health. Having a mental health issue does not make a child less beautiful, special, smart, strong, or lovable. If we intervene early enough, we can make a huge difference. We can help children get better when they are young. We can show them that life does not have to be a scary journey, one in which they are worried that they will be discriminated against because they may suffer from a mental health issue. We need the world to stop showing us that mental health issues mean that we are inferior. We need to spread the word that getting help is the best way to deal with a mental health issue - and this is not something to be ashamed of.

So, please, take the time this week to spread the word about children's mental health! If you know a child suffering, take the time to let them know that you are here for them! Stop the stigma about mental health. Be the change you want to see in the world. Together, we can make a difference.

I suffered from a mental health issue. Does that make me less of a person than others? No. Does that mean I can never follow my dreams and be successful? No. Let this message be known to children - all children are beautiful, inside and out - regardless of any mental health issues they may endure!

36 comments:

  1. As a mother ,I used to watch my daughetr and I used to get worry when not eating well and getting sick but I never thought talking to her about her feelings.
    I am very thankful for your active role in raising awareness and helping others.


    JP( a thankful mother)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just if you google ,you will know many famous,popular figures and dignataries suffer some sort of mental illness and continue to be famous ,lovable and successful.Rencetly I added to my long list Sigmond Froid,Darwin and Scott Stossel


    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  3. If we all aware of our mental health and start with children,We will be able to have future generation more healthier and happier.
    Thanks Marina for caring for childern's feelings and mental health.

    Penny mediacl student

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have 3 young sisters and I really appreciate this post.

    Marisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. We all need to be the change for what we want this world to be for us and especially our children

    Roseanna

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never thought kids can have any mental illness or suffer from stress.

    Cindrella

    ReplyDelete
  7. As you may remember my issues with mental health started when I was a child and when I was teen ED crept on me from no where.
    I trust if my emotions dealt with appropriately when I was young ,my course and struggle with ED would be different.

    Nanaraj

    ReplyDelete
  8. Children feelings and emotions should be taken care off same as fever and diarrhea.
    If we ignore this ,will not have healthy adults.
    Thanks Marina for this post.

    Zak

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mental health to me is as or even more important than physical health.
    When I feel good ,I can do better.

    Shady

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am impressed with your care to kids.
    I can agree with you kids feels more than we think.

    Darius

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do not know what caused my ED but I was emotionally overwhelmed as a kid and was bullied and no body helped me to talk and vent or get help.
    When I was in and out patient treatment programs I heard many storied from others how were emotionally hurt as young kids and how this may have contributed to ED.
    Please kids and adult speak up ,talk ,vent and get all the feelings and emotions out.

    Recovered ED survivor

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love children and I love any body advocating for them .

    Anastashia

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was called several names when I was a kid and this was hurtful .
    Please raise the awareness every body.

    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  14. Children deserve all the support but most needed is validation of their emotions and feelings .

    CJ

    ReplyDelete
  15. I support this blog for raising the awareness about mental health especially in kids.

    Josefina

    ReplyDelete
  16. When I was a child my math teacher was very rude and mean to me and made me hate school .


    Carlos

    ReplyDelete
  17. Stop bullying and child abuse (any sort of abuse especially verbally and emotionally ) will help have healthy nations

    Sebastian

    ReplyDelete
  18. Our kids are angels on earth.Protecing them from any sort of emotional upset is very important for kids,adults and humanity,


    Maritza

    ReplyDelete
  19. If you build a nation,you want start caring for kids.

    Ganji

    ReplyDelete
  20. I apprecite your caring for our kids

    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  21. I never that of any of those factors contributing to children mental health.
    I am impressed of how knowledgeble you are.


    Mays

    ReplyDelete
  22. I had rough childhood and I wish it was better and I know exactly how I felt when I was sad, angry and worried.
    I wish every body treat children with kindness and treat adults as young children.


    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  23. Change the world start with change the attitude towards mental illness and mental health care for kids

    Marisa

    ReplyDelete
  24. We need to feed kids milk and love.
    When grown up wean slowly from milk and increase dose of love and care.

    Cindrella

    ReplyDelete
  25. I did struggle as a child from stress and sadness and poor sleep but now I am fine and I did study psychology and I am doing master degree and hoping to get PH.D also .
    Mental health start from childhood and even before .
    Thanks for raising awareness.

    With my humble respect.

    Muhammad

    ReplyDelete
  26. Children deserve care .
    Thanks Marina for this post.

    Hend

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wonderful thoughts hopefully we can protect our kids.

    Kapoor

    ReplyDelete
  28. I like the pictures .

    Blanchette

    ReplyDelete
  29. I thought mental health is only adult illness

    Hamza

    ReplyDelete
  30. Marina loves Kids .

    Gerry

    ReplyDelete
  31. I am a mother and I appreciate your care for children feelings.

    Seerha

    ReplyDelete
  32. I wish schools has a program to screen mental health to identify those at risk and get them to help quickly.

    Jenn
    Welland

    ReplyDelete
  33. I was working as ECE and I noted may of my colleagues were harsh on kids. I advised them that discipline is fine but still can be done with compassion.

    Irina

    ReplyDelete
  34. I am a teacher and I talk to kids about bullying and about their feelings .
    Thanks Marina for tackling this issue.

    Helga

    ReplyDelete
  35. Is world health organization recognized child mental health?

    Alijandro

    ReplyDelete
  36. I am working for CAS and we have zero tolerance to any maltreatment to kids .

    Sumab

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.