Thursday, 25 July 2013

ABCs of Actions

ABC - three simple letters that we all know. These three letters can be helpful in deciding on a plan of action, and also when reflecting on our decisions and seeing whether or not we acted in the right or most helpful way. It may seem silly to some people, but I find that by planning out my actions and reflecting on them, I can make better decisions in the future. Try this out and see how it helps you!

A) Antecedent - this is what happens before, or the situation that you are in. This is important because it determines what is going on around you. It could be anything - good or bad. Maybe you have revived a bad mark on a test, or perhaps you got into a fight with a friend or loved one. Or perhaps work is stressful, or you have too much to do. On the other hand, it could be something good, as is the case when you hear good news. Whatever happens, this determines your feelings or reactions. How do you feel about this situation? What is going through your head? What has happened that made you feel this way?

B) Behaviour - this is actually what you do, and it is guided by what occurs (the antecedent). What are you going to do about the situation? What actions will you take? Maybe you are so stressed about your job that you accidentally take it out on your spouse and kids. Or maybe you are hopeless because of your marks so you give up studying for the next test. Perhaps you feel happy about your promotion and you celebrate with your family and friends, or you are thankful to God for being with you so you donate some money to the needy. Do you see how this related to the situation? The behaviour, while it may seem easy, is difficult at times to control. We need to think about what we are going to do because it had implications for the future. Sometimes, we make good choice, but at other times, we don't. We may be impulsive and do things that we regret. Our behaviors at times might surprise us because this is not what we are used to. At other times, we may make decisions that seem to be right, only to learn that they were not the best choices we could have made.

C) Consequences -  this is what happens when you actually do what you have decided to do. What happened after you acted? Was it what you expected - good or bad? Did anyone get hurt or bothered by what you did? Are you pleased with how you handled the situation? This is important because reflection allows us to realize what we did wrong and what we did right. By weighing out the pros and cons of what we did, we can begin to see what we would do the next time and how this will be different than how we acted before. We learn this way because we can analyze our actions and the consequences they have for our lives. What would you do differently the next time? What did you do that you would do again? How was it helpful, or not helpful? Reflecting like this also helps us make decisions for the future. It allows us to learn from our experiences so that tnext time, we can remember how our actions impacted us and decide if this is what we will do again.

Give it a try! You will be surprised by how much you learn about yourself, as well as from your experiences. You may begin to see a pattern in how you make decisions, and this can help you make wiser or better choices in the future. It can also help you learn what you value, what tyou believe in, and what your priorities are. Now you know your ABCs - next time won't you decide with me?! (okay, so that was SO cheesy....but it rhymed!)

30 comments:

  1. I agree on having a plan of action to guide us about looking after our health and also help us plan a head and use the technique that is working and change what is necessary
    I was hired to do some work for an autoinsurance recently and part of our assessment is what We call PDSA
    Plan ,do ,study and act.
    So We plan what is our goals and then try at small scale and then after 2 weeks,study the pros and cons and then We can make final conclusion to endorse the best coarse of action that guarentee success.
    I trust in ED or addiction one can plan ,do and study and change to the best .

    Carlos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carlos, thank you for sharing the PDSA - it sounds useful! I agree with what you said - ED, addictions, and habits can all be helped if we are willing to do the work!

      Delete
    2. Thank you for my ABCs and thank you for replying to my comment

      Carlos

      Delete
  2. I think ABC works well if We are motivated.

    Hesham

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hesham, you are abolsutely right. None of this works if you are not motivated.

      Delete
    2. Marina
      You are amazing,I never expect you to reply but you kindly did.
      You are motivating me since I have been one of your reader.
      You encouraged me to live good life to the fullest despite any obstacle
      I appreciate your hopeful messages here.

      Hesham

      Delete
  3. Hi Marina
    I relate most of ED issue to my impulsivity and irrational thinking and decisions..
    Before I started my journey to recovery(thanks to you) I was in complete denial of my weird and odd behaviours.
    Now I am better ,not as imulpusive .I wish I can be rational and think clearly without an impulsive behaviours or anger that leads me to bad behaviour.
    I am trying to practice to be calm and not to worry and do the best I can with what I have.

    Nanaraj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nanaraj, look how far you have come! I am so proud of you. Reading your comments make me realize how strong and brave you have become. WOW. Good job with what you are doing. I know it is not easy, but look at you!

      Delete
    2. Hey Marina
      As you said many times before ,ED victims are so smart and very strong personality. .If they put their mind into any thing, it is done and done well.

      I am here to stay and I will fight ED my A.. off(sorry).
      Thank you for shaking me from my deep sleep with the monster.
      I feel since started my journey of recovery ,I am anew person
      Thanks Marina

      Nanraj

      Delete
  4. Now I know my ABCs.
    Right Marina
    Humans and even animals learn from their mistakes and never fall into same track twice.
    Isn't it better for humans not to repat previous mistakes.
    I think human try not to but because We are all human ,we make mistakes and this o k but if we reflect on them and understand our ABCs ,we can do better.

    Good thoughts Mraina

    Mary

    Mississauga

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, you are right. We are human and this is part of life. But like you said, reflecting helps us improve. God bless you!

      Delete
    2. God bless you too Marina
      Thank you for taking part of your busy time to reply to me .

      Mary

      Delete
  5. I trust if We know the consequence of bad and inappropriate behaviour,this would discourage us from doing them.
    If we know and believe in good habits and good behaviour,this will motivate us to endorse good behaviours.
    ABCs all work but C is the most important,I guess

    Jennifer
    Welland ,On

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenn, you are right as well! Consequences are important because they help us see what has become of our actions and behaviours.

      Delete
  6. Hey Marina
    That's interesting.
    We always are aware that our behaviours ,whether good or bad are influenced by what is going on inside us and around us.We also know that our behaviours whether good or bad have consequences.
    The smart of us is how one can select and choose the good behaviours and gurantee a positive consequences despite the Antecedent(as this we have no control)

    Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack, you are right in that the atecedent may not always be under our control. That is why ABCs aer so important - they help us see what IS under our control and how we can deal with what is not!

      Delete
    2. You are right Marina
      Looking at ABCs is important when We want to make a plan or set goals so that We can see what is under our control and what is not.
      Thanks for the reply

      Jack

      Delete
  7. Marina
    This post reminded me with my last year assignment when my professor asked me to follow up few cases.
    I had to ask clients about their goals(one thing they want to achieve or change or make a top priority) and then We follow up on their plan and motivate them to continue to do what they are able to with our support and encouragement and by end of the study ,we looked at the outcome(consequence0 after clients made the behaviour change or set their goals.
    We could conclude that invironment and social network and people early life,health and family and genes etc,all can have impact of behaviours.

    Mohammad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mohammed, I like what you describe here. It seems to be very effective. There is so much that impacts how we act; this is why reflection is critical. God bless you!

      Delete
    2. Marina
      I trust you are an excellent mental health educator and supporter and motivator.
      Keep up the excellent job

      Mohammad

      Delete
  8. Now I know my ABCs help me understand about myself and give me explainations to my my issues .
    I also like use PDSA to initiate,evise and monitor my goals.
    If I understand it correctly ,it seems like people first make a plan for any change ,they start doing it for may be 1 week ,month or 3 months and then study what worked and what did not work that well and finally you get to learn and know what is better plan of action that take you to succeed

    Hamza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hamza, you are right - it takes time for habits to form (usually about three weeks or more). And even then, it takes dedication to keep it up. But you ar right - plans helps us succeed because they help us see what we are going to do next, how to act, etc. God bless you!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the reply.
      It is surprizing !!!

      Hamza

      Delete
  9. Hi Marina
    I have been reflecting on this post since Friday.
    In my case I believe the A caused me to behave the way ED loves and of course the C is not surprising.
    I can recall my parents were a teenager while mom was pregnant with me.They did not have a reqular job and were trying to complete their education.My mom was sick while carrying me in her womb and my childhood was harsh and was a mischief and kantakerous child ,,,just to name a few of the As.

    Good news Marina ,I am recovering well and since I out of outpatient program,I still see my dietitian weekly and recovering well and steadily progressing.
    I can assure I will not relapse and I will not waiver and I will not accept less than complete full recovery.

    One other thing I will determine to do is I will complete my education and have a job before my womb carry a baby.
    I may accept to date somebody if I meet an honset and serious man..

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne, I am speechless. You too have come SO far. Look at what you have accomplished. This is amazing! Good for you! Kick ED out and make sure he does not belong in your life.
      I know that your childhood must have been tough, and I am sorry for any pain you or your family may have had. But the good news is that you are determined to change this and that you have a good plan and outlook for your future. Do not let anything stop you! Stay strong and accomplish your goals. I know you can do it! I am so proud of you - and your family should be as well! God bless you.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Marina
      I am determined to take my life to a different course than what ED wanted me.I am so glad that ED is out of my way and will be for ever.
      I am grateful to you because I do believe you are the only one who woke me up.
      Thanks Marina again.

      Anne

      Delete
  10. You are right Marina
    When I reflected on my ABCs,I felt better knowing how my As caused my Bs and lead to my Cs .
    Now I have them all on the positive side .
    What a change
    I am glad and very happy for my slef and every body making positive changes


    Mays

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mays, I am glad that this worked for you! This is truly enocuarging. God bless you. You are very kind.

      Delete
  11. Thanks for replying to me.
    You are the one who encourages and help and endorse health and happiness.
    God bless you Marina

    Mays

    ReplyDelete
  12. Marina
    I congratualte you for having your blog as an avenue for many especilly youth to vent and express feelings and opinion in resepcful way.

    Thanks for a job well done

    Kapoor

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.