Wednesday, 8 April 2015

FOUR YEARS OF RECOVERY! - and a Look Back on 'Brain Changes' Posts

I have written many posts about ED and brain changes, and I know that many of you are interested in this topic (as am I...).

This blog post summarizes all the posts I have written thus far on ED and brain changes. Feel free to click on one of the links below and learn more about what I have written!

PS. I LOVE this particular post because reading through my past posts has helped me realize many things. First, I can see how far I have come in my recovery since 2012. Second, I can appreciate how much I have learned about ED and brain changes. I have also reread all the comments, and am so touched by everyone's ongoing support thus far. In addition, reading these posts makes me appreciate that when I was ill with ED, I was suffering from a real illness - I wasn't trying to be a 'difficult patient or person', I wasn't looking for attention, I wasn't being stupid for staring myself, and I wasn't lying when I said that eating was extremely difficult or stressful for me.

I hope these posts teach you something new, and remind us all that EDs are mental illnesses. I hope the research cited in the posts below allow society to realize that EDs are life-threatening illnesses - and not choices. They are not cries for attention, or a result of the need to feel 'in control' or rebel against parents....or whatever crazy theories there exist. Simply put, an eating disorder is a mental illness that makes one feel anxious about food and weight, obsessive about maintaining a certain weight, altered food intake patterns, etc. BUT EDs are also 100% treatable - through sustained and constant nutrition, love, therapy, support, care, and more.

Enjoy browsing through these posts - and feel free to comment on what you learned from these posts, how this changes how you view ED as an illness, etc.

1) Why starvation 'feels good' or is 'easier' for patients with ED than eating
2) Portion Distortion! and Servings sizes of food
3) Always feeling full
4) Starvation = reward for individuals with ED?
5) Food and Mood
6) Why Eating in Recovery is STRESSFUL!
7) Desserts and ED Brain Changes
8 General Overview of Brain Changes

P.P.S - thank you to all my family, friends, and readers. Looking through these posts has truly made me extremely thankful for everyone's support. All your words, love, and care are truly what has gotten me this far and strong in my journey. This month marks my four year recovery mark - four years of solid recovery, full nutrition, health, happiness, and freedom. I wouldn't have made it here without God and without all of you...and without yummy food (like chocolate. Did I mention I love chocolate?) THANK YOU!


60 comments:

  1. Congratulations

    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you Marina for this highlight.
    It is serious disease that you and me tortured by but luckily recovering
    I admire your perseverance as my role model

    Nanaraj

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a gem and unique
    Please keep up


    Lilian

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy anniversary.
    In recovery we born again

    Sheila Ketson

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very happy with complete recovery and setting a role model


    Anastashia

    ReplyDelete
  6. The recovery is a hope to all of us but to maintain recovery for 4 years that is complete CURE.
    Cheers

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy anniversary

    Hillyard

    ReplyDelete
  8. Every single post is helpful

    Keep up

    Patel

    ReplyDelete
  9. Recovery is great


    Patel

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am myself reading your current and previous posts. Each one remind us with important facts we need to do for our health.

    Kapoor

    ReplyDelete
  11. 4 years of recovery means a lot to me struggling myself with health issues and I feel and know how recovery is precious and invaluable.
    Keep up


    J Giles

    ReplyDelete
  12. This recovery is a great hope to many espcailly me.

    D Hall

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations

    Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  14. I admire for taking care of your self and cured yourself with little help from doctors.I hope I can help myself to look after caring myself and not relying on doctors.


    Tiana

    ReplyDelete
  15. This gives me hope for my sister


    Monique

    ReplyDelete
  16. very proud of you

    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't count how much I learnt from this blog


    Zak

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very inspirational

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am amazed with the continuous success

    Shady

    ReplyDelete
  20. I gave you lots of credit

    Zeezman

    ReplyDelete
  21. The struggle that hit me years ago ,making me a tough cookie ,stronger person .
    Keep up


    Svetlana

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thumbs up Marina

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your motivations ,self confidence and resilience maintain your success .


    Clorado

    ReplyDelete
  24. You were self directive and so you succeed

    Sorina

    ReplyDelete
  25. You believed in your ability to get your self to what you wanted and so you did it.
    Not a lot of people able to.

    Oswaldo

    ReplyDelete
  26. I admire your success

    Yarmouk

    ReplyDelete
  27. I wish I can do for myself as you did for yourself but your motivation is contagious


    Felix

    ReplyDelete
  28. I take you as role model for my self and my kids

    Rodica

    ReplyDelete
  29. Keep going

    Ramirez

    ReplyDelete
  30. I learnt lots from you


    Vuk

    ReplyDelete
  31. You set your goals 4 years ago,you chose what is good for you and you worked extremely hard and now you are reaping fruits of the excellent work.

    Sinclair

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your sucess and motivation impressive

    Bradshaw

    ReplyDelete
  33. Your talent as a writer and as artist depicting real meaningful picture of the health issue and your well searched knowledge and your skills as a nursing student and your commitment as a person and your trust in God as a believer all together helped you to recover, maintain and reaching out to others.
    Standing ovation to Marina


    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  34. Very pleased with you empowered yourself and took full responsibility for your own health and future.


    Fric

    ReplyDelete
  35. A head of you is great future.


    Zamar

    ReplyDelete
  36. Four years of better life and 20X4 years to come with happy prosperous life.

    With my congratulations and humble respect

    Muhammad

    ReplyDelete
  37. All the best beautiful girl

    Mays

    ReplyDelete
  38. I AM IMPRESSED WITH YOUR SELF CONFIDENCE AND TALENT AS A WRITER AND SPEAKER

    FALCAO

    ReplyDelete
  39. Some body like you is a treasure .
    May God bless all your endeavours.


    Blanchette

    ReplyDelete
  40. I am very proud of you and take you as role model ,tutor, mentor and instructor.

    Razan

    ReplyDelete
  41. What a talented smart Marina
    I adire all your confiedence and skills.
    I applaud your alltruis,,beauty and attidude.

    Sam Ibrahim
    77 years old
    Burnhamthorpe,Mississauga

    ReplyDelete
  42. You proved that you are a talented writer,articulate public speaker and a very knowledgealbe and skillful nurse and counsellor.


    Beltrano

    ReplyDelete
  43. We appreciate your committment and perseverence and setting role model to all of us.


    Pierrette

    ReplyDelete
  44. WOW
    keep going


    Mila

    ReplyDelete
  45. The picture you chosse mean that you are also a talented artist.

    Sandeep

    ReplyDelete
  46. You are pioneer ,invoative and resiliant
    Keep going


    Yara

    ReplyDelete
  47. Way Up Marina


    Morandin

    ReplyDelete
  48. I am recovering from morphine addiction.
    The hardest years after recovery was the first year.
    If you maintained recovery for 4 consecutive year,you recovered completely and you setting a record for this terrible disease


    Blair

    ReplyDelete
  49. I wish the struggle is completely over and you have easy happy life a head as you deserve

    Sung

    ReplyDelete
  50. For 4 consecutive years you prove your talent,
    commitment,,knowledge,skills ,attitude and hard work.


    Raja

    ReplyDelete
  51. I love the pictures of the colored brain.
    Beautiful Marina

    Colin

    ReplyDelete
  52. Your hard working to achieve your goals inspirational to me and many others


    Irina

    ReplyDelete
  53. Thumbs up

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  54. Good job

    Wawrow

    ReplyDelete
  55. Keep going Marina.
    Recovery worth billions.

    Brancho

    ReplyDelete
  56. I wrote this in my noes to remind me "HEATHY IS WEALTHY"

    Great Job Marina


    Stephany

    ReplyDelete
  57. You are GEM


    Lillian

    ReplyDelete
  58. Kudos to Marina.


    Kelly W
    TO

    ReplyDelete
  59. Recovery worth all sacrifices.

    Well done


    Horvath

    ReplyDelete
  60. Thank you all! It's a blessing to have recovered, surrounded by God's love and yours!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.