Friday, 23 January 2015

Published again! Stages of Change

Once again, my work has been published by NEDIC! (Thank you, God! And thank you to all my readers and supporters who continually provide me with motivation and care!). This post is about the stages of change and how we can use this model to help ourselves (or others) in altering our habits or working towards new goals: http://www.nedic.ca/blog/stages-change

There are five stages, each describing the points at which an individual is thinking or functioning. As the person becomes convinced and prepared to acknowledge the problem and make a plan of action, he or she is able to slowly implement changes. Once the goals have been achieved, the focus is maintaining those changes and preventing reoccurrences.

I love this model because it emphasizes personal readiness. Of course, sometimes, we can't wait until we're ready to make changes (because after all, not many of us are actually ever going to wake up one day and feel fully optimistic about breaking a lifelong habit of ours!). However, the stages of change, in my opinion, can teach us something about the process of making a change: even if you aren't fully ready, sometimes you just need to make a plan. Then, you can make a pros/cons list and see what positives and negatives will occur if you make a change. This way, you can get a better idea of how the change can impact your life and health. Next, you can take baby steps towards the goal.

I went through this with my recovery from anorexia. And you know what? I still go through the stages of change. Even now as I'm recovered, I realize that I need to make decisions that promote my continued health and well-being (physical, mental, emotional, spiritual, etc).

What habit or issue in your life needs change? Can you use the stages of change to help you reach this goal? Remember: this can be about stopping the use of alcohol, cigarettes, or drugs. It can be about controlling your anger or temper. It can even be about eating balanced and delicious meals, getting more physical activity, relaxing and engaging in self-care, etc. The most important thing - the first step - is to contemplate about the change. Only then can you become prepared, take action, and maintain your success. Whatever your goals or changes are, remember to always stay hopeful! You will accomplish your goals - it may take time, patience, effort, and perseverance....but it is possible. Trust me, I've been there and I've done it. Was it always easy? No. But was it worth it? Most definitely.


60 comments:

  1. WOW
    We all need to make positive changes


    Solvac

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to change my bad habits

    Somar

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes
    I love this model as it helps me changing my negatives thoughts and feelings and replace them with positives and hopes

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am working on maintaining the change for 8 years and no relapse


    Recovered ED survivor

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations
    This post desreve a big wow

    Mary
    Mississauga

    ReplyDelete
  6. So if single actions and feeling starts from the thoughts and ideas.
    If We have positives thoughts all become positive

    Kelly W

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful

    Helena

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sustaining the positive changes I made since I came across this blog is my goals now

    Nanaraj

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations

    Raja

    ReplyDelete
  10. I need to cut down caffeine

    Louisa

    ReplyDelete
  11. You got me Marina
    While I am close to 80 I still smoking and I am thinking about quitting.
    I love this cycle and I hope use it to change me

    Sam Ibrahim
    Burnhamthorpe

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was doing cocaine weekly .With help now I am doing it once monthly when I get my check.
    I am working on quitting for good.

    McMenty

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lucky me after struggle with alcohol I am now free and maintaining recovery

    Carlos

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am hoping to change my habit of sleeping late and wake up late

    Jenn
    Welland

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope I care for my health better than now


    Sheila Ketson

    ReplyDelete
  16. congratulations

    Lexie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations

    Yara

    ReplyDelete
  18. congratulations

    Magi

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful info for bad habit change

    Hodia

    ReplyDelete
  20. Big AHA moment

    Gerry

    ReplyDelete
  21. WOW
    Good for you

    Anastasia

    ReplyDelete
  22. Keep you motivations high

    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very beautiful colorful post

    Jessie

    ReplyDelete
  24. well done

    Russiani

    ReplyDelete
  25. This cycle is helpful

    Morandan

    ReplyDelete
  26. This can change people bad habits

    Kapoor

    ReplyDelete
  27. 5 stages can change your life to the best

    Solomon

    ReplyDelete
  28. Maintaining my recovery from alcohol using this cycle to reflect is important

    Hazel

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am hoping to change my habit of overuse of eye phone and playing computer games.
    I spend 6 hours every night.

    Roy

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love this cycle

    Congratulations

    Paterson

    ReplyDelete
  31. I will use it to help me quit smoking

    Pierrette

    ReplyDelete
  32. You are right.
    Since I started watching my thoughts and thinking positively ,I have been feeling better and achieving more.

    Homaira

    ReplyDelete
  33. I am going use this to change my temper.

    Singh

    ReplyDelete
  34. I hope I can change my habit of not helping my wife in her house work.

    Ganji

    ReplyDelete
  35. I want use this to change my dependence on my BF

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  36. If I can use this cycle to help stop interrupting people and listen more than talk

    Addison

    ReplyDelete
  37. Can I use it to change my attitude and smile and understand others and put myself in other's shoes

    Gavin

    ReplyDelete
  38. This post is helpful

    Congratulations

    Razan

    ReplyDelete
  39. I love this post

    Anusha

    ReplyDelete
  40. For 2 years .I have throat pain and had many tests and saw many doctors and no explanations.
    Only one doctor told me < do you know you can create your worry and fears from your brain thoughts and also you create happiness and satisfaction and cure your pains through your brain thoughts>

    I think this cycle may help me think positive .
    I will try

    Maya

    ReplyDelete
  41. I am hoping this cycle can help me with my long life procrastinations.

    Singh

    ReplyDelete
  42. Quiting smoking is my goal and hoping use this to start actions.

    Clorado

    ReplyDelete
  43. You are a talented writer and NEDIC readers benifit from you .


    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  44. I wish I can change to decaf.

    Doula

    ReplyDelete
  45. I believe if cycle of change used with support of a professional can change people bad habits and behaviours.

    Ospina

    ReplyDelete
  46. Can I change my anger using going through this cycle

    Parson

    ReplyDelete
  47. My pschologist reminds me with this cycle

    Terryberry

    ReplyDelete
  48. I will contemplate on my medication and hopefully I will take them regularly

    Cindrella

    ReplyDelete
  49. Congratulations

    Maritza

    ReplyDelete
  50. congratulations

    Jaswinder

    ReplyDelete
  51. Excellent job

    Marvlyn

    ReplyDelete
  52. Blessed are those who are like you.

    Sunday Priest

    ReplyDelete
  53. I take the hat off for you and this post.
    With my humble resepct.

    Muhammad

    ReplyDelete
  54. I am going use this cycle to change my sleeping pattern and wake up and go sleep earlier

    Sorina

    ReplyDelete
  55. You are an asset to NEDIC readers

    Hamza

    ReplyDelete
  56. Thank you to everyone who took the time to read and comment! In answering to all of you, yes, you most certainly can use the stages of change cycle to change habits such as anger, smoking, alcohol, negative thinking, low self-esteem, etc. All you have to do is start by acknowledging that you need to change - as you have all done so openly and honestly! I am proud of all of you, and am so thrilled that this post resonated with many of us. It is wonderful that we can all come to this blog, read, and share our own experiences, thought, and goals. This is an excellent way to give and accept support from people, and to know that you aren't alone! I am so blessed to have all of you and this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  57. Congratulations for a post well written

    Zoya

    ReplyDelete
  58. Congratulations

    Sousa

    ReplyDelete
  59. Wonderful post for changing bad behavior
    Very proud of you

    Nagy

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.